John Deere D140 Lawn Tractor

51 of 62 John Deere reviews

John Deere D140 burned to the ground in warranty, John Deere will not cover it said it was probably dirty.Appears to be a fire that started around the coil.

$2000 for this thing and it has 18.2hrs on it. Deere Rep said its my responsibility to prove the fire was their fault and I should not look to them but instead call my home owners insurance and put a claim in.

I've had a few lawn tractors over the years and never had one burn down, ever!Please do not buy these tractors and park them in your garage it just may kill your whole family!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had an experience with John Deere? Submit review ›
Helpful? 6 Yes 6 60 No 60
Had the same issue 16 Yes 16
51 of 62 John Deere reviews

PissedConsumer.com is operating in read-only mode, users cannot make any changes to the information, publish comments or reviews.

May 15 #1159301

brothers 425 burnt down today it was in his garage he was outside and saw the smoke and was able to roll it out before it took his house. His too looks like the starter,solenoid, coil area.

Seedman88.5

Jun 21, 2014 #830308 Kennedyville, Maryland, United States

How long did you run it because my dad works at deere in MD and did you get hurt then try a z-track zero turn mower in steed they work better.

JasonZ

Jun 04, 2014 #823614 Lombard, Illinois, United States

John,
I'm a fire investigator and I'm looking at a fire in a similar mower for an insurance company. I was wondering if I might speak with you about the fire you had for help with my current project.
Jason

nomoredeere

Sep 14, 2014 #869887 Inman, South Carolina, United States

JasonZ- I would appreciate any info you have discovered in your research. I prepaid a John Deere X310 with bagger on 2-28-13, which had to be ordered. I picked up the mower from the JD dealership the last week of 3-13. I needed the power steering and hydraulic deck lift due to neck and shoulder damage and surgery which didn't provide any relief. On 5-20-14 about 6:30am, mid 60's temp and morning humidity near 100% as is usual in SC, I used the mower 30-45 minutes. Then parked the mower on my drive to allow engine and pulley cooling before rinsing the mower and using the deck cleanout feature. Within 5 minutes my 'new' mower with about 20 hours on the meter was engulfed in 10-12 foot flames. The local JD dealership which I've traded with almost 30 years and 3 mowers, and still considered friends and honest, picked up the mower within a few hours. After a couple weeks I received my mower back and the exact same reply given to John. After filing a claim with my home owners, I have been interrogated by the adjuster twice and a visit from a forensic fire investigator, who drove about 2.5 hours each way and spent 3 hours taking pictures and questioning me. Been driving since '78 and have never had an insurance claim-collision or liability. Have lived in this house since '88 and had 1 claim for less than $700 after deductible. All this and the mower is still in my yard, still not given a cause of fire.

Snowman

Sep 14, 2014 #869889 Houston, Texas, United States

Jason, my name is James and I am a investigator with Turning Point Investigations Inc. in Houston, TX. I am currently investigating a fire on a Jon Deere. I would like to dialog with you regarding your fire. I can be reached at james@turningpointinvestigations.com

johnkinsley

Jun 07, 2013 #661504 Woodlawn, Maryland, United States

John Deere refused to look into issue. Said my insurance company would fwd to them if they believe it is a JD problem. Do yourself a favor the Home Depot and Lowes tractors are all about the same, shop by price because most tractors are made by Murry or MTD. I bought replacement for 1270. JD D140 was 2000. Should have done this the first place.

1 4 Reply
oefveteran

Oct 07, 2014 #881069

Deere's consumer grade lawn tractors, the L/LA/D100 series, are produced by John Deere at their plant in Greenville, Tennessee. They are not produced by MTD, Murray, Husqvarna, etc.
They are a Deere product. A low end Deere product, but a Deere product none the less.

2 0 Reply
johnkinsley

May 07, 2013 #647293 Sykesville, Maryland, United States

When I called Home Depot where I bought it they told me John Deere warranties are horrible. They sell insurance through an outside company instead of dealing with John Deere.

1 3 Reply
Pturkey

Jul 16, 2014 #841645 Kemmerer, Wyoming, United States

I was looking to get a new D140. With an attitude like Deere has, I will look for a another brand. I am tired of dealing with companies that treat customers like idiots.

2 4 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to John Deere. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about John Deere.
Filing a new complaint about
×