2.8K views
Featured Not resolved

John Deere D140 burned to the ground in warranty, John Deere will not cover it said it was probably dirty. Appears to be a fire that started around the coil.

$2000 for this thing and it has 18.2hrs on it. Deere Rep said its my responsibility to prove the fire was their fault and I should not look to them but instead call my home owners insurance and put a claim in.

I've had a few lawn tractors over the years and never had one burn down, ever! Please do not buy these tractors and park them in your garage it just may kill your whole family!

Comments

brothers 425 burnt down today it was in his garage he was outside and saw the smoke and was able to roll it out before it took his house. His too looks like the starter,solenoid, coil area.

to Anonymous #1560632

It is all about jobs! Remember when companies tested products to assure they get longevity?

Well, when computers came along someone decided - why are we doing this? Let us use the computer to program the parameters to 'learn' how to build an product that FAILS or BREAKS just a month or two AFTER the warranty EXPIRES. Nothing sold today will last as products from the past. Do not blame China or Mexico - the U.S.

corporate executive provides the overseas manufacturer the plans, instructions and what materials to use. It is about jobs and taking your money at frequent intervals. You complain about Lawn tractors. How many millions of people turned in an perfectly working kitchen appliance that was built to last 50 plus years to get Stainless steel - they will fail or require service in about THREE years.

My Frig. was used by mother in law for 30 years, handed down to me - I used it for 20 - it is just beginning to act up in 2018. What is the difference between an greedy executive and an Vulture?

The Vulture picks your bones when you are dead - the executive while you are still breathing and looking into your eyes. Welcome to making America great again.

Kennedyville, Maryland, United States #830308

How long did you run it because my dad works at deere in MD and did you get hurt then try a z-track zero turn mower in steed they work better.

Lombard, Illinois, United States #823614

John,

I'm a fire investigator and I'm looking at a fire in a similar mower for an insurance company. I was wondering if I might speak with you about the fire you had for help with my current project.

Jason

to JasonZ Inman, South Carolina, United States #869887

JasonZ- I would appreciate any info you have discovered in your research. I prepaid a John Deere X310 with bagger on 2-28-13, which had to be ordered.

I picked up the mower from the JD dealership the last week of 3-13. I needed the power steering and hydraulic deck lift due to neck and shoulder damage and surgery which didn't provide any relief. On 5-20-14 about 6:30am, mid 60's temp and morning humidity near 100% as is usual in SC, I used the mower 30-45 minutes. Then parked the mower on my drive to allow engine and pulley cooling before rinsing the mower and using the deck cleanout feature.

Within 5 minutes my 'new' mower with about 20 hours on the meter was engulfed in 10-12 foot flames. The local JD dealership which I've traded with almost 30 years and 3 mowers, and still considered friends and honest, picked up the mower within a few hours. After a couple weeks I received my mower back and the exact same reply given to John. After filing a claim with my home owners, I have been interrogated by the adjuster twice and a visit from a forensic fire investigator, who drove about 2.5 hours each way and spent 3 hours taking pictures and questioning me.

Been driving since '78 and have never had an insurance claim-collision or liability.

Have lived in this house since '88 and had 1 claim for less than $700 after deductible. All this and the mower is still in my yard, still not given a cause of fire.

to JasonZ Houston, Texas, United States #869889

Jason, my name is James and I am a investigator with Turning Point Investigations Inc. in Houston, TX.

I am currently investigating a fire on a Jon Deere.

I would like to dialog with you regarding your fire. I can be reached at james@turningpointinvestigations.com

johnkinsley
Woodlawn, Maryland, United States #661504

John Deere refused to look into issue. Said my insurance company would fwd to them if they believe it is a JD problem.

Do yourself a favor the Home Depot and Lowes tractors are all about the same, shop by price because most tractors are made by Murry or MTD. I bought replacement for 1270.

JD D140 was 2000. Should have done this the first place.

to johnkinsley #881069

Deere's consumer grade lawn tractors, the L/LA/D100 series, are produced by John Deere at their plant in Greenville, Tennessee. They are not produced by MTD, Murray, Husqvarna, etc.

They are a Deere product. A low end Deere product, but a Deere product none the less.

johnkinsley
Sykesville, Maryland, United States #647293

John Deere D140 burned to the ground in warranty, John Deere will not cover it said it was probably dirty.Appears to be a fire that started around the coil.

I've had a few lawn tractors over the years and never had one burn down, ever!Please do not buy these tractors and park them in your garage it just may kill your whole family!

When I called Home Depot where I bought it they told me John Deere warranties are horrible. They sell insurance through an outside company instead of dealing with John Deere.

to johnkinsley Kemmerer, Wyoming, United States #841645

I was looking to get a new D140. With an attitude like Deere has, I will look for a another brand. I am tired of dealing with companies that treat customers like idiots.

to johnkinsley #1560625

You need to learn - quality will no longer be sold in the USA unless you pay dearly for the product you need. It is all about creating JOBS!!!

Taking your hard earned money - at regular intervals when an product - you used to get many years from - that interval is now measured in months or just an year or two. That creates jobs!!! You do not matter.

YOU were replaced by computers and robots. You are expendable, non essential personnel.