I am the owner of a new 2017 John Deere 5085E open station tractor. The tractor does not get a lot of high hours work and is mainly used for gravel road maintenance on steep mountain roads.

Whenever grading uphill with a scrape blade the differential lock is vital to the work and taking advantage of the 85 horsepower which is why I purchased this large of a tractor for this job with R4 tires. The problem is the differential lock does not work as a differential lock traditionally has worked. The idea is to lock both rear wheels which limits the ability to steer the tractor but provides maximum pulling ability. The function is very hard to engage.

Even when stopped. If you finally do get it engaged it pops right out again over and over. I need it to engage and stay that way until I disengage it again. Also, the manual says the light function on the dash to indicate engaged or not is NOT USED on this model?

Makes no sense at all. The manual also says If I want it to stay engaged I am to hold my foot on it. Only way to accomplish this is unbuckle seat belt and stand up on it which even then will not hold it engaged. Who ever heard of a differential lock programmed to automatically pop back out?

JOHN DEERE YOU MISSED THE BOAT ON THIS FEATURE MAKING A WONDERFUL TRACTOR VERY LIMITED IN USE FOR ME. DEALER HAS BEEN CONTACTED REGARDING BOTH THE DESIGN AND EXECUTION PROBLEM WITH DIFFERENTIAL LOCK WHICH I CONSIDER ON STEEP GRADE USE A SAFETY ISSUE AS WELL.

Review about: John Deere 5085E Tractor.

Reason of review: Not as described.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments